Thursday Feature: “Let’s Talk Books” — Characters
Welcome to Thursday Feature: “Let’s Talk Books”! Today’s discussion topic is characters — those we’ve loved, and those we’ve not so loved. As a writer, I’m constantly creating characters, and the questions below are some that I use as a blueprint to create them. If you’re reading a book, and I hope you are, pick up that book and let’s look at/discuss the characters in it. Consider the questions below as you read:
1. Describe the main character—personality traits, motivations, inner qualities.
2. Describe the dynamics between characters (in a marriage, family, or friendship).
3. Do you admire or disapprove of them?
4. Do they remind you of people you know?
5. Is there a change in the main character by the end of the book?
6. Does he/she grow or mature?
7. Does he/she learn something about themselves and how the world works?
BONUS DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (For Extra Credit– LOL):
1. Of all the books you’ve read in your lifetime, is there a character that has stuck with you?
2. Which one? From what book?
3. What types of characters are you drawn to? Which ones do you shy away from? Why?
Note: I hope you won’t think of these questions as “homework” but as simply discussion starters or to help you to become a more engaged/active reader. I’ll be sharing my current read over the weekend. Stay tuned!! 😀